There is some confusion around the term “progressive.” As a result, it has been easy for establishment Democrats to co-opt the term in an attempt to maintain support and power. At the same time, conservatives and independents often conflate establishment Democrats with progressives. To address this, we have clarified our definition of the term “progressive” in an effort to be open and honest about who we are and how we make decisions as the TYT Army.
Progressives make decisions about the policies and issues that affect our everyday lives based on 8 fundamental principles:
- Evidence-based Decision-making. Decisions about policies that are voted on by legislators should be based on evidence-based research that considers the credibility of who funded and who performed the research.
- Objective-based Decision-making. When evidence-based research is presented that counters our original conclusion, we work to not allow our biases, personal feelings, or opinions get in the way of being willing to change our mind.
- Policy over Politics. Policy over Party. Decisions about policies that are voted on by legislators should be made based on the merits of the issue and proposed solutions, regardless of which party is championing the policy.
- People over Profit. When competing interests arise, the best interest of people should always be a priority over profit.
- Planet over Profit. When competing interests arise, the best interest of the planet should always be a priority over profit.
- Expanding Circle of Liberty. Ensuring that all human beings – regardless of race, gender, sexuality, creed, or economic privilege – have the freedom to live the life they choose so long as it does not infringe on another person’s freedom to do the same.
- Equality of Opportunity. Ensuring that all human beings – regardless of race, gender, sexuality, creed, or economic privilege – have the same opportunities to live the life they choose.
- Accountable Government Dependent on The People Alone. We insist that our representatives in government operate free of the corrupting influence of money from all entities. While corruption expands beyond money’s influence (e.g. human nature to seek power), we can better hold our government accountable for their decisions when the money they receive for their campaigns is only from individuals and is done so in a manner that is fair to all, regardless of economic opportunity.
For a brief video that touches on the concepts of Progressives, click here.
Have you thought of something we haven’t? Do you have a question for us? We welcome and rely on your feedback.